Sunday, January 20, 2008

AAMIR KHAN--“I have never used the media,”

“I have never used the media,” Aamir Khan

You used the media at your own whims and fancies?
Not true, tell me one incident when I have used the media for my own selfish interest. I think I’m the only star who hasn’t used the media till date.

Then how come we are doing this interview prior to the release of your film TZP?
Because I wanted people to know that I have made a great film and I want you guys to spread the message. You guys play a very important part in that.

That’s exactly what we mean. You are inaccessible throughout the year and appear before the media only when you have a film to release?
(Pause)It’s a false allegation again. Name a single interview I have given before the release of Mangal Pandey and Faana . I know the media have often accused me of appearing before them when I have a film to release. I was sick and tried of this allegation and decided not to speak to anyone during Mangal Pandey and Faana. My producers cried and pleaded with me to speak up, but I refused. I told them no matter what, I will not promote the film as I want to prove a point.

And you continued to play hide and seek with us?
Hmm, no. You now what? I got very bad press after Mangal Pandey . They hit me right, left and centre. And same the thing happened during the crisis in my personal life. Every individual goes through ups and down in their personal life, but I got such unfair press coverage that I went into a shell and decided to stay away from you guys.

What made you come out of your shell?
My friends in the media advise me to speak up. They told me you are the only intelligent guy in the industry who makes sense and please don’t stop talking.

The general impression is that you are a recluse?
I’m not. I’m as normal as anyone. Do I look like a recluse from any angle to you? My only problem is that when I get involved with something, I don’t see any other thing. I get occupied with it till I finish it. I can’t handle two many things at the same time.

But you have just done with ‘TZP’, actor, director cum producer. Donning three hats at the same time?
Trust me it was never a planned move. It just happened. Maybe I was destined to direct this film.

Destined?
Yeah, thought I’m glad I’m making my directorial venture with ‘TZP’, but if I had my way I would have chosen something else.

‘TZP’ was Amol Gupte films, until you decided to throw him out and become the director.
Hey, I didn’t throw him out, but yes we had major creative differences. He shot the film for a week and showed me the rushes. I was not happy with it. I told him, Amol it’s not happening; I think we need to re-think. If you want the film to be produced by me, I should be given the freedom to decide how the film will be made. And its better if you give the film to someone else, or else let me make it my way.

No comments: